What is this blog about?

I've been a lacto-ovo veggie for 15+ years and for almost every week of those years I've found myself going out to eat with my meat loving family or friends. Tired of finding myself at restaurants were I'm left nibbling on a very uncreative salad I've created this blog to help others like myself find the best options when eating out, and what restaurants your better off staying away from if you're looking for a fulfilling veggie meal.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tweet

5020 N. Sheridan Road
Chicago , IL 
60640-3118

Menu Creativity:  Some
Ambiance:  "Howdy neighbor, can you pass the salt"
Overall Experience:  Long wait, good options, OK food
Rating:  Good, but not great.  They make a pretty plate of food, but once you dig in it just doesn't live up to it's appearance.  
-------------------------------------------
Lazy Sunday afternoons were made for brunch. So I grabbed a friend, Caroline, and headed to one of the gazillion brunch places in the city.  Not surprisingly we found ourselves waiting for about 45 minutes to be seated.  The wait was alleviated by flipping through books,magazines, and games  supplied for just that purpose.   The decor is fun...bold colors, art covering every inch of wall space, just be prepared for the naked artwork; in other words, not the place for your prudish friends or family.  Stay away if you're looking to have an intimate brunch with your loved one as you'll be nearly touching elbows with the other customers.  The place is loud and boisterous, but well within acceptable levels as you are able to hear your dining companion.  


When you get to your table you're greeted by a couple bite-sized pieces of cornbread.  I always appreciate free food, but I found these little bites to be cloyingly sweet and a bit too dense; I found myself hoping this was not a sign of things to come.  They do have quite a few vegetarian/vegan options on the menu, here's a look at just a few of them:

  • Bib Im Bop (RV)
  • Vegetarian Biscuits & Gravy
  • Veggie Country Benedict
  • Veggie Burger (not sure if Vegan)
  • Tofu Scramble and they have vegan cheese! (V)
  • and more...
For the full brunch menu go to http://www.tweet.biz/brunch.html
What I ate:  Croissant Sandwich Platter
I was really excited when I ordered this since they had veggie sausage.  Though I was disappointed when my meal arrived as the eggs where overcooked...I'm talking brown bottom and slightly grayish appearance, gurk...yuck.   The croissant was flaky and yummy as was the veggie sausage.  I found out later that  the sausage is Morningstar, it's disappointing that they don't make their own.  On the plus side the hash browns were cooked beautifully, golden brown with a light butter flavor.  The teeny bowl of fruit was great, I just wish it was larger, a fabulous assortment of great fruit...not a melon in sight.


What Caroline ate (and was forced to share with me):  Vegetarian Biscuits & Gravy
Overall an OK dish, it's just disappointing because it could have easily been better. The gravy and sausage was cooked separately, not allowing the gravy to fully develop that rich and spicy depth that we're used to getting from a good plate of veggie biscuits & gravy.  The biscuits were one of the highlights of the dish; light, flaky and buttery delicious.    

(V)=Vegan Friendly
(RV)=Can Request to be Made Vegan


Let me know where you think I should eat next?  If you've eaten at Tweet  what was your experience?  Post your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Check out my daily blog at: http://thininvisiblesteel.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment